Wednesday, March 10, 2010

If You Happen to be a Christian Currently Observing Lent & Have the Friday Fish Eatin' Blues, Here's a Little-Known Fact: You Can Eat Beaver!!!

I just stumbled on this little factoid over the past day, which I had never heard before (from the below Wikipedia link):

"In the 17th century, based on a question raised by the Bishop of Quebec, the Roman Catholic Church ruled that the beaver was a fish (beaver flesh was a part of the indigenous peoples' diet, prior to the Europeans' arrival) for purposes of dietary law. Therefore, the general prohibition on the consumption of meat on Fridays during Lent does not apply to beaver meat."

But alas, here's the dilemma: Where in the hell can I buy some Beaver? If you happen to know where I can get me some Beaver, please advise. What sauce or condiment does one even put on a Beaver? Does Beaver taste like fish or like chicken? Or am I just pullin' a Ward Cleaver and bein' a little too hard on The Beaver? You decide. Out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver