Thursday, March 11, 2010

You Say Tomato, But I say OUCH!!!

I've noticed in recent days that you can't find a decent price on full-sized fresh tomatoes. I don't like to ever pay more than $2/lb. for tomatoes, but at present I can't find any for less than $2.25 or $2.50/lb. Well, the explanation has emerged over the past day. It seems there was a February freeze in Florida that ruined 70% of the tomato crop (link below). (BTW: February freezes in Florida? I think the U.S. Senate really needs to focus on ramming through the Cap'n Trade bill, as Obama is apparently quietly pushing now. Yeah right, what a priority! But I digress).

The tomato price hike is bad news for me, since I eat tomatoes like they are going out of style. They are one of the healthiest foods out there, and I couldn't make my Slimeball Sandwiches without them. The linked story says there will be no relief in these high prices for at least 4-6 weeks. For any fellow tomato lovers out there, here's one suggestion: For now, you might go with the smaller Roma tomatoes. Their price has risen a bit too, but they are (as is typically the case) cheaper than full-size tomatoes and even this week I'm seeing them at some places for only 99 cents/lb. Looks like it may have to be a steady diet of Romas for me for a few months.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/taste/shopping/stories/DN-nf_inseason_0310gd.State.Edition1.4bf3f05.html