Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Daily Notes: Cali gay marriage, Supreme Court nominee, and North Korea. So what do I think about the Cali Supremes upholding the CA gay marriage ban?

Well, here's precisely what I think: I couldn't give a rat's ass. It's an issue I care little about in the abstract, and moreover, I DON'T LIVE IN CALIFORNIA.

http://independentrage.blogspot.com/2009/05/groups-on-far-left-far-right-who-try-to.html
http://independentrage.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

2. Obama's USSC nominee: Since I'd never heard of her before today (except perhaps a few mentions on the Sunday morning political shows two days ago), I have no informed opinion at this point. I have read her now infamous quote (“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life"), and frankly find it hard to ponder a more asinine comment coming from allegedly educated human being (let alone someone nominated to our nation's highest court) -- not to mention the outright impossibility of any caucasian republican USSC nominee making a similar comment and ever surviving the nomination process. But is it disqualifying? I'm not going to say that. Not as a person who has said myriad dumb, regrettable things in my time. No, I don't yet have any freakin' clue what this lady stands for or her judicial record, and so I'm going to reserve judgment until becoming more informed in the days to come and through the confirmation process. If you expected me to rush to judgment and start ranting and raving one way or the other, then you don't me very well and you can go **** yourself.

3. North Korea: I really do hate the national sports media's much-cliched line, "That's just Manny being Manny," which by the way the Kansas City media has transformed into a new stupid cliche ("That's just Zach being Zach", in response to your typical Greinke interview), but perhaps I will now lose all ability to ever have my stomach turned by such a line ever again, because here goes: This is just North Korea being North Korea. What the hell is supposed to happen in response? Sure, you'd hope that the US will work hard on the diplomatic front to garner a quick and sharp rebuke from the UN security council (something we were not able to accomplish after the recent missile test -- errrrrrrrrrrr "satellite launch" into space -- from North Korea). At least one thing I don't have to worry about: As much as many of His Majesty's views, policies and actions very much concern me, at least I know with him that there is no danger of us launching some ill-advised, moronic Neo-Con offensive at North Korea. AT LEAST I can sleep a tiny bit easier there.

Out.