Friday, January 3, 2014

Not a Mundane Daily Detail: "Tourist Walks Off Pier While Browsing on Facebook." And Who Wouldn't Be So Enthralled with the Facebook?










From The Guardian:  "A tourist is lucky to be alive after she plunged into Melbourne's Port Phillip Bay while browsing on Facebook, police say. The woman was walking along St. Kilda pier engrossed in social media when she walked off the pier into the dark and chilly water."

But take just one look at the Facebook sometime, and it's easy to see why someone would be so captivated with attention such as to take a header into the ocean while browsing. I'm talking your prototypical, high-interest Facebook nuggets like these (based on personal past recollections and a few saved ones):

- "Just left grocery store. On way 2 pick up the kids. Just hit a pothole. Ouch!"

- "Check out my new foto album from are Branson fam vacation.  Billy did da go-carts!"

- "My moms step-uncle's 3rd cousin on the utter side died 10 years ago 2day. RIP, Bubba."

- "I'm So Excited: If Kristi H heres 1 more word on hear bout anything serious or political, then yer da-friended. Dont even pass go. Head strate to dafriend."

- "I picked up Bobbie Sue's prom dress just now down ats the square. If she can squeeze in2 it, she's gonna look real purdy!"

- "The old lady is-a leavin my arse and takin them kids wit her. I need me a Big To-Do to lawyer this. A Big Whoop-To-Do!"

- "Yeah, I'm down 2 the Sonic. Anyone wanna a corn dog?"


You know, come to think of it, maybe this Facebook-browsing broad walking straight off a pier into cold dark water wasn't so inadvertent.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/18/tourist-walks-off-pier-while-browsing-on-facebook