Thursday, October 11, 2012

Well, Wasn't Expectin' THAT: "Nashville" on ABC Is Easily the Best New TV Show I've Seen This Fall Season (Including "Last Resort"). What a Piece of Work!


"Dallas" On Steroids -- that's my best pithy description of this new show "Nashville" on ABC (season premier last night). But please allow me to back up just a bit...

Despite something I read today about "Nashville" being one of the most heavily promoted new fall TV series over the past few months, I'd didn't even hear about this show until the past week (and little escapes the Rager's ear).  Even that said, I made a note of the new show, but I didn't have much in the way of expectations from the trailer I saw.  Figured I'd give it a one-episode watch and then forgettaboutit like so many other shows that I sample. But then I watched the damn thing Wednesday night...

And I must admit I was somewhat blown away.  Talk about a Tennessee Tour De Force!  Well-written (with plenty of laughs like any talented drama will always provide), exceptionally acted, quickly paced and edited, artfully shot (loved the use of hand-held cams, not to mention all the shots of old Nashville river bridges!), and great-sounding country music blaring throughout.

In a capsule, the show tells the story of three established or soon-to-be country music divas:  (1) A legendary aging one (Connie Britton/pictured at top -- I'll miss her from the new season of FX's "American Horror Story"); (2) a rival conniving, hot and young "crossover" one (Hayden Panettiere/pictured immediately above) whom oftentimes seems like she can barely sing a lick; and (3) an upstart cocktail waitress (Clare Bowen, playing the niece of the Britton character's ex-lover) who can probably out-sing (and write) 'em all.

Dotting the landscape of the male actors on the show are various pretty faces that I know I've seen before, even if I can't place them.  With two exceptions: First, Powers Boothe has a prominent role on the show, heapin' plenty of helpings of his prototypical larger-than-life (and completely scummy) self (classic!).  Second, "Bunny" from "The Wire" playing a mayoral candidate!  (Great to see that actor again).

I'll close with my favorite line of the first episode:  "Thank God for Auto-Tune!"  Is there perhaps a more appropriate phrase that could be uttered for the sorry state of popular music in the 21st Century?  Viva la Nashville!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_%282012_TV_series%29