Tuesday, April 13, 2010

OK, Early Predictions Time for the November Midterm Elections.

These are subject to change, of course, as news and events unfold in the months to come. First, I am going to go ahead and predict that the repubs will seize a majority in the House. Is it entirely possible that such will not occur? Certainly, but I think the GOP will be able to pull that one off. Second, I do not think the repubs will win a majority in the Senate (where only one-third of the seats are up for election in November). It's possible they could, but I think it's a real longshot. Let me put it this way: I think the chances of the repubs winning neither the House nor Senate are greater than the chances of the repubs winning both. I'll also throw in one other prediction: Look for dems in October (as well as after the elections) to claim huge victory in only losing the House. I mean, if Nancy Pelosi can claim victory after the dems' gubernatorial defeats in NJ and VA last year, I think these dems will claim victory in just about anything.

So what do I want to see happen in November? Well, the outcome that I'm predicting (repubs win the House but not the Senate) would be just fine with me because it would restore some balance of power to DC. I never again want to see either of these two parties in complete control of the presidency, House and Senate, which is what we saw in 2009 and which is what we still have, save the end of the dems' supermajority in the Senate following Scott Brown's victory. I think we've seen that the results can be fairly scary when we permit either of these two parties to have complete control of our federal government, and I very much want to see a big dent put in the DC dems' power come November.