Thursday, February 4, 2010

Wire Alert!

It appears that Time Warner Cable On-Demand is about to restart a rotation of The Wire series from the beginning. The past few nights, there's been a The Wire entry on TWC's On-Demand menu, but as of yet, no episodes available. But it appears it's about to start.

You know, I don't think I've expressed myself concerning The Wire previously on this blog (which I just started last March): While my blog ranks the Top 5 television sitcoms of alltime (you have to look a ways down on the right hand sidebar), and while I have never endeavored to rank the Top 5 dramatic TV shows of alltime, The Wire officially gives any other dramatic series a run for its money and may be, perhaps, the best dramatic series ever.

Here's my view on The Wire seasons: First two seasons, Absolute Magic. Third season, tended to meander and lose its way a bit. Fourth season: Not as good as the first two, but pretty damn good (forget health care, energy legislation, and even jobs -- Our educational system, particularly its failings in inner-city America, should be one of our very first priorities in the country right now). Final season: Some pretty good elements, but some other stuff that just seemed completely unbelievable (like the whole corpse angle -- like even the McNulty character would ever go that far, and Lester Freeman too!?!).

But I digress. If you have never watched this series -- Watch It. And start from the beginning -- Never, ever, ever try to start watching The Wire in the middle of a season, because you will not have any freakin' idea what's goin' on! (I know that from my very first experience with this show back in its first season).