Sunday, January 3, 2010

We Don't Need Stuff Like This. Obama Hung in Effigy in Georgia. Whether the Far Right or Far Left Is Responsible, I Hope the Perpetrator Burns in Hell


If you disagree with our president, as I most often do, then the same is to be expressed in words, thoughts and ideas. Not in hate. Not in violent-tinged actions or symbols. Now, those comments are of course based upon the presupposition that this was some right-wing freak who is responsible. The probabilities are that it was such a freak. At the same time, I didn't just fall off the proverbial turnip truck over here. I realize that something like this could always be the work of the far left, aiming to create a propaganda event in favor of their ilk. Such is the very concerning world and country in which we currently live. But regardless of which extreme's person is to blame, "I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eye," as one of my favorite old songs goes. I remain true to my view that we are ultimately a nation of free ideas, debate and conversation -- from which better leaders become elected and poor ones ultimately are retired to the private sector. That's America. And regardless of what anyone else might think, and regardless of how much the two extremes might try incessantly to change that dynamic, I think that essential core value of what makes us American ain't going away any time soon.