Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Random Thoughts...Who Says I'm Some Deranged Right-Winger or Loony Left-Winger? Or Am I Both at the Same Time?

For example, I'm intrigued by the idea of the spending freeze that Obama had proposed. (Of course, his partisans on the left in Congress reject the idea, while mindless right-wingers of course claim that it doesn't go far enough, and so they oppose it too.) If Obama truly wants to turn over a new populist leaf, however, he should first push for a bill that amends the massive stimulus bill of the past year in order to eliminate all of the pork that was not designed nor intended in any way, shape or form to "stimulate" the economy or to create any new jobs. (Obviously, that's never going to happen, I realize.)

Another thing intriguing to me is the idea of caps on credit card interest rates. I saw today that both the banking industry and the Obama administration oppose such caps. (BTW, that particular combination agreeing on something should probably be your first clue that the idea of caps might have some merit). I'm not up on the issue nor well-informed at the moment, but I would at least be open to the idea. Like I said, random thoughts tonight.