Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Heard the Last 45 Minutes Of the State of the Union. Struck Me As More of the Same.

...although I did not catch all of it. What I heard was pretty uninspired. Came across as a professor teaching a class or something. On substance, I heard little to indicate any upcoming Clintonian-style move towards the center. Instead, sounds like he's not moving at all to the center. Heck, he probably could have given this exact same speech a year ago, because very little has changed in his rhetoric or what he wants to pursue. We got the obligatory Blame Bush stuff. And I really don't get how he is still calling for earmark reform when he signed a massive "stimulus" bill that had thousands of earmarks, or how he is still calling for more transparency in Washington when he stood by and did nothing as the Senate dems forged all these slimey back-room deals in order to ram through a highly unpopular health care bill. Sorry, it all just rings hollow and missing in any real conviction. Bottom line: Mediocre stuff. I give him a C (lower likely if I'd heard the entire speech, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for the part that I didn't hear).