Friday, August 7, 2015

First gop-er Debate Aftermath: Who's UP, DOWN, or (& Get Ready for a Lotta) NEITHER as a Result of HIS (see not HER) Debate Performance...

- Donald Trump:  Neither. He was typical Trump -- no more, no less. (His Rosie O'Donnell line had me rolling, for the record).

- "Jeb" Bush:  Up.  I'm no fan at all of "Jeb" or the Bush dynasty, but I was surprised that he was as good on his feet as he was. At least in that respect, he definitely ain't his idiot brother!

- Scott Walker: Neither. Workmanlike performance. (Great Hilary email line, however).

- Marco Rubio:  Up -- if mainly based on his improvement over past performance.  He's come a bit of a ways since his Drink-of-Water Speech and was very solid, if not spectacular, in this debate. BTW, is there such a thing as ear-reduction surgery, Mr. Spock?

- Rand Paul:  Down.  Only a fool would get in the face of both Trump and Chris Christie in the same debate (and I even agree with Paul on the NSA issue). (And for Sagan's Sake, Paul, do something about that hair!)

- Ted Cruz:  Neither.  See my Trump and Walker comments.  Still Unelectable.

- John Kasich:  Up.  I rarely say anything like this, but he actually MAY be one gop-er for whom I could vote in 2016.  Seems to me to have the best overall message of any of these candidates. (These sentiments are academic and moot, of course, since Kasich AIN'T gettin' the nomination).

- Mike Huckabee:  Down. He's the biggest also-ran amongst these 10 candidates, and I'd like to see him replaced in the debate next time around with Carly Fiorina.  Huckabee's a decent talker, but alas, it ain't 2008 no more, governor.  All we are saying, is give Broad a chance.

- Ben Carson:  Almost Down, But a Rebound!  Ben ain't no politician, and I generally like him except for his devoted right-winger world view.  Carson is also easily the best looking man amongst these 10 candidates (although perhaps that ain't sayin' much).  But he seemed very stiff in the first half of the debate and much like, frankly, a non-politician. Loosened up a fair amount in the second hour, however, to garner a "Neither" from me. Nice comeback.

- Chris Christie:  Neither.  Christie failed to seize on his best opportunity to run, in 2012, and now I put him in a similar also-ran, been there/done that category as Huckabee.  See also my Trump comments.