Friday, September 13, 2013

Finally Something That I Can Agree Upon With a Leftist: Obama's Education Secretary Calls For Later Start to High School Days. Can We Channel This Concept to the Workplace Too?













Says Obama's education secretary, Arne Duncan:  "I am serious about it. I think there is lots of research and, again, sort of common sense that a lot of teens struggle to get up at 6:00 in the morning to get on the bus, or 5:30 in the morning to get on the bus . . . They aren't awake, they're groggy, they aren't able to pay attention in class."

Amen, but let's extrapolate that research and common sense to the American workplace. I have simply never been a morning person, and millions of American workers are no different.  And who in the hell invented the rule that the workday must begin between 7 and 9, anyway? Farmers? It may make sense for them, but why for the rest of us?

I'd be in favor of pushing off the workday start to 1:00 p.m. (or, alternatively, 11:00 a.m. at the earliest).  My favorite job ever was one that I had for a year when I was about 23. It didn't pay much ($13K/year as I recall), but I loved the schedule: 

I'd show up by 3:00 p.m. and get off around 11:30 p.m.  Then I'd head home for some late night eats (usually a Banquet dinner and some tater tots), Sportscenter and TV, and then fall asleep around 3 or 4 a.m., and get up around noon to watch the "Kung Fu" reruns on TNT along with a frozen pizza. Then off to work to do it all over again!

Man, those were the days. Kinda makes me wanna push Arne Duncan for president over here! See, sometimes you can learn a lot from a leftist.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/09/05/Education-secretary-Start-school-later-in-day/UPI-92611378364400/