Monday, April 8, 2013

SHOCK: Georgia High School Reportedly Still Holds Separate Proms for Black and White Students! Is This 1913?





I had to look at the date on this story from late last week (link below) just to make sure it wasn't an April Fools item. It reports that Wilcox County High School in rural Georgia still holds (and apparently only allows students to attend) segregated proms and homecoming dances, meaning separate dances for whites and blacks...

On the bright side of this sad state of affairs, a group of students of both races is rebelling against the disgusting dance policy and is organizing an "integrated" prom where people of both races will have the freedom to attend together. Such a progressive concept over there! (Whoops, I just used the P-Word. Sorry.)

This sick story also got me thinking: Maybe I've been a bit too hard on such places as Alabama and Mississippi, always singling them out and what not as bastions of racism and outdoor shitter use...

So going forward, I'll be sure to sprinkle some "Georgia shithouse" references into the blog. Although, that leaves me with a bit of a quandary: Do I need to specify the race of said shithouse (since I can only assume the public shitters down in Wilcox County remain "separate but equal" to this day)?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2303732/Segregated-prom-Students-fight-integrated-prom-Georgia-county-minorities-banned-white-school-dance.html