Friday, August 31, 2012

Final Grades from the Final Night of the gop-er Convention: "Clint, Marco & Mitt" -- Might Sound Like Something from a Bad Canceled Soap Opera, But Also Entailed Some of the Better Speeches of the Convention...



The grades tonight picked up dramatically from the first two nights of the republic partisan convention, but that's to be expected:  The last night's always for the big guns and the nominee.  And while I'm not exactly sure Clint Eastwood deserved an "A" (as discussed below), I openly admit being more in the tank for the old gunslinger than the "mainstream" media at an Obama press conference. So let's get to it...

1.  Marco Rubio (U.S. Senator from Florida):  A-/B+ (a "90").  Two words:  Political heavyweight.  I've said that about this Cuban-American cat from the jump.  He's a devout right-winger, and therefore not exactly ideologically my cup of tea party.  But Rubio has the skill that his young gop-er contemporary, Paul Ryan, doesn't have to nearly the same degree: Delivering the prepared speech most adeptly (Ryan's much bigger skill is communicating with people off-prompter and contemporaneously).  Like him or not, I predict Rubio will be president of the United States some day.  And yes, you can make book on that.

2.  Clint Eastwood (my favorite film star of all-time):  A*.  The asterix is because while I'm unbiased when it comes to gop-ers and democrat party people (I don't much care for any of 'em), I'm not unbiased when it comes to Clint.  So maybe I should've recused myself from giving him a grade?  Nah. Don't think that's really necessary. But good grief is ol' Clint gettin' old, and it showed at times.  But still plenty of funny lines and zingers from the old fart.  Personal favorite: Regarding Joe Biden, "He's kind of a grin with a body behind it."  Nailed it.

3.  Mitt Romney (I call him stand-for-nothing King Flipflopper, but you know him as the 2012 gop-er presidential nominee):  B/B+ (an "87").  Still don't think Romney stands for much of anything, but one reason why he's a danger to the individual we currently have as president is because Romney's a fairly talented performer.  He's a natural at giving speeches, even if that same aforementioned "individual" is even a bit better (at least on those occasions when Barry's engaged).  And from the gop-er debates I witnessed (all 732 of them), Romney's a dude who's typically fairly solid (if not spectacular) on his feet and off-prompter, whereas I'd only describe Obama as being mediocre in that skill (although as a consolation for the leftist 20 percenters, Reagan too was very mediocre off-prompter).

So here we are.  One of the two worst presidents of my lifetime (Obama, with the other being W) pitted against this Romney character whom it's hard to get excited about after witnessing eight terrible, destructive years from the last president the republic partisans offered up to us.  I have no dog in the fight, think it's (yet again) an awful choice these two pathetic parties have given us, and will be voting third-party as I have in every election since 1992.  But, it should be fun to watch, because this is likely a very close election, possibly with a 2000-repeat involving one side winning the popular vote, but not the one (the electoral college) that counts.

And before I hear any cliched "pick a side" cat-calls from the peanut gallery, I'll say this:  I very much worry this country will never recover from the economic and other destruction wrought over the past 12 years by Barack H. Obama and George W. Bush.  Given that track record, why in the hell would I consider voting for either of these two parties ever again?!?  Feel free to get back to me on that.

I'M THE RAGER, AND I APPROVED THIS POST.