Wednesday, October 20, 2010

D'OH!!! They're Saying the 2012 Mayan Apocalypse Is Actually 50-100 Years Away! NOW They Tell Me.


The Net is abuzz today with a new report finding that the Mayan-based End-of-the-World prediction for December 21, 2012 is actually a load of bunk! (And I'm glad they're around to tell us these things -- link to story at bottom).

The new report (which is actually a chapter in a new textbook) says that the 2012 Doomsday prediction was based on a miscalculation and mis-conversion of the Mayan calendar dates to the modern calendar. As a result, none of us has to worry about the world ending for at least another 50 to 100 years. As the linked story aptly puts it: "End of the World Postponed."

But where in the Sam Hill was this new report five years ago when I needed it! What in the hell am I supposed to do with the 100 cases of bottled water that I squirreled away down in my basement? Water the yard with 'em? And what about the 25 crates of Campbell's condensed soup that I have in another corner of said basement? I don't think even the local hobo pantry would want that much crap.

And don't even get me started on that 300-lb. pallet of Ramen Noodles that I hauled into my garage on a Skid Steer last year. And as for that fallout shelter that I installed in my backyard: Can you say m-o-t-h-b-a-l-l-s? Yes, I stand before you today a broken man. Damn pesky Doomsday recalculations.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101019/sc_livescience/endoftheearthpostponed