Monday, August 30, 2010

Welcome Back, Carter: As Obama Returns From Yet Another Vacation, I Reflect on the Awful Examples Set By Our Last Two Presidents.


It's a real character lesson for our nation's young people: When times are bad in the country or in your life, take just as many vacations as you can possibly get away with and behave just as much like a monarch as you can possibly muster up. Yep, that be the glorious Barack Obama and his neo-con partner in crime, George W. Bush -- easily the two worst presidents of my lifetime, even including the aforementioned Carter as well as Nixon.

And just to add insult to injury, dems and repubs in Congress just took a nice cushy August vacation even despite the terrible state of things in the country at the moment. But alas, maybe I'm complaining a bit too much based on principle and should instead endeavor to see the proverbial "forest through the trees." After all, on the rare occasions when this president and this ultra-left-wing Congress actually do act on something, it's inevitably a rotten course of action that goes against the will of the American people. So maybe I am barking up the wrong tree. I think there's some real merit there.

I see also today that the GOP has taken a 10 point lead in the generic ballot. Am I supposed to view that as some kind of positive? Well, I don't. In a perfect world, there would be completely equal 50% parity in congress between the members of these two extreme-controlled, destructive, out-of-touch parties. Parity and balance-of-power is demonstrably (just look at the last 18 months) the only way to keep these two terrible parties from doing too much damage.

Which circles back to my point above: Perhaps I should be thanking my lucky stars when ill-qualified presidents like Obama and W take a ton of vacations, and Congress too for that matter. Making too much noise about them keeping their noses to the grindstone very much implicates the cliched old line, "be careful what you wish for."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/08/30/obama.message/index.html
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41603.html