Saturday, July 10, 2010

Don't Be a Smartass, Joe.


Two weeks ago I referred to vice president Joe Biden as Jerkwad of the Month for calling an ice cream parlor manager a "smartass" after the manager joked about "lowering our taxes." Well, look who's being the smartass this weekend: Biden himself. This weekend Biden hammed it up on Jay Leno's show concerning this week's spy swap with Russia and even inserted a blast at a famous conservative radio talk show host, just for good measure. The exchange went as follows:

Biden told Leno that he (Biden) had one suggestion for the spy swap which wasn't accepted by the Russians. "I thought they'd take Rush Limbaugh," Biden quipped. Leno also raised the issue of Russian spy hottie Anna Chapman (check out my recent item on her in the Ladies Panel in the right sidebar column), who was one of the ten spies returned to Russia in the swap. Leno asked Biden, "Do we have any spies that hot?" Biden responded, in a serious tone: "Let me be clear. It was not my idea to send her back."

My verdict? Those are actually some pretty decent and funny lines from Biden, and I felt compelled to say so after being fairly hard on him in late June after the ice cream incident. But as well, it's not so hard to present well when you know the microphones are on. I'd just ask that he exhibit the same humor and poise when he's dealing with ice cream parlor managers and doesn't realize that the mics are on.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100710/ap_on_en_tv/us_leno_biden_9