Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lifestyles of the Rich & Leftist: How I Forked Over 17 Grand, and All I Got Were Some Quail Eggs & This Crummy Picture with the President.


I noticed today's account of an Obama fundraiser this week for Sen. Barbara Boxer in San Francisco at the "Getty Mansion" (yes, the mansion of Big Oil's Getty family). Eighty people attended this event, at $17,600 a head (or $8,800 an ear, if you're The High Plains Drifter). That payment bought attendees a quick pic with the president plus a dinner consisting of the following menu, which I warn you is largely incomprehensible unless you happen to be a gourmet chef or a bona fide aristocrat. Check it out:

-Starting hors d'oeuvres: "Quail egg with caviar and salmon ceviche with jicama and avocado on a tortilla chip."
-Salad: "Spring onion-asparagus tartlet with Meyer lemon vinaigrette-dressed frisee salad."
-Main course: "Braised Kobe beef short ribs with potato puree and a salsa verde-topped spring vegetable ragout."
-Dessert: "Buckwheat crepes with roasted cherries and almond ice cream."

I guess, to some, the "celebrity" pic with Obama might be kind of cool, but what about them eats? I'd be pi$$ed if I'd shelled out that kind of jack, only to receive that meal. Is there something wrong with garden variety chicken eggs? And what the hell's a "ragout"? Or a "ceviche with jicama," for that matter? "Buckwheat crepes"? Blah. Give me a few White Castle sliders or a tasty bacon, eggs & grits plate any day over that zany menu (just don't give me those things on a daily basis because, with the exception of grits, they are chock full of saturated fat).

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/around-town/food-drink/What-to-Eat-on-a-17600-Date-With-the-President-94935344.html