Saturday, February 6, 2010

"Revolution"? Sarah Palin Spouts Off Today to Her Conservative Choir. (Nice Legs, By the Way)

The sounds bites I've seen from Palin's speech today at the National Tea Party Convention were mostly the standard talking points-type stuff. But one quote caught my ear -- "America is ready for another revolution and you are a part of this." Maybe I'm being hypersensitive over here (although when have you ever known me to be that way?), but her particular use of the word "revolution" here kind of rubs me the wrong way. I think if you use a powerful word, having a very distinct common meaning, like "revolution," then it shouldn't just be tossed out there, but instead needs some qualification. Such as, "revolution of ideas," "revolution of change," "peaceful revolution" or, heck, my favorite -- "Rager Revolution"! But when you just use the word by itself, and compare the current state of things to the original American Revolution by use of the word "another," I think it's going a bit too far. I think we all know full well that Palin is in no way advocating any type of violent revolution, but I just find her particular choice of words here at best sloppy, and at worst reckless. But it's also not something worth ranting about all night, so I will bid you farewell for now.