Saturday, December 5, 2009

I'm Glad I'm Not Tiger Woods Tonight.

As discussed last night in the sidebar: Normally, as a high-profile sports figure, Woods would only have to worry about the likes of ESPN or FoxSports or occasionally one of the hapless news networks covering his dirt. But now he's got TMZ all over his ass (link below). (Update: Just watched TMZ's daily program, and they are really all over his ass.) That is NOT a place I would ever want to be. If you want to roll in the celebrity world as defined by TMZ, then you get to deal with TMZ. Woods existed outside that world previously because he wasn't exactly a Hollywood player, but one weird car accident and a couple of revelations of extramarital affairs, from the one of the most recognized sports figures in the world, and TMZ is on the case. And let me be clear on TMZ: I don't really like what they do, chasing around celebrities and making fun of them at the same time they make a living from them, BUT TMZ is the best I've seen in that world. And they are VERY well-sourced and connected in that domain. As discussed previously in this space, when they were the first to report Jacko's death as fact, which no other media outlet could do until over 45 minutes later (in the Internet Age for crying out loud!), TMZ impressed the hell out of me. And as also expressed previously, I just wish TMZ would get out of the solely celebrity focus and branch out into hard news: They'd likely set the journalistic world on fire, which would be a very good thing these days.