Thursday, December 31, 2009

Are AFL-CIO Guy Steve Rosenthal & Other "Progressives" Complete Idiots? Or Are They Just Completely Blind? (Same Difference?)


The linked Politico.com story describes a difference of opinion in the dem party these days as to whether the party needs to move towards the center in 2010. Some dems, such as William Daley (Clinton's commerce secretary and brother of the Chicago mayor) have recently very plainly stated that if Washington dems continue their radical left crash-course during 2010, it will be disastrous for them in the 2010 elections (and beyond). To that, I say "duh" (do people still say that?). In other words, no ****, Sherlock. Make no mistake, absent Washington dems pulling a post-2004 Bill Clinton-type dash towards the middle, they will take big hits in 2010. (Unfortunately, most of those hits will be at the hands of republicans, although I continue to hold out hope for some viable third-party Independents to emerge in upcoming election cycles -- but I digress).

In the face of comments like those of Daley (which merely speaks obvious truths), you have "progressives" like the pictured Rosenthal claiming that staying the far left course is the only way for Washington dems to avoid losses in 2010 (see linked story). Talk about livin' in Bizarro world! So I return to my question above. Are these progressives idiots? Actually, I'm not going to say that. But I will say that they are so blinded by ideology that they eschew any talk of movement to the center even in the face of clear evidence that failing to do so will be distastrous for them in upcoming elections. Because the progressives basically control the dem party these days, I'll believe it when I see it as to any sudden move towards the center. Nope, I think they are going to continue their current course in 2010 of ram-rodding more unpopular ultra-far-left legislation right down our throats. They will suffer big losses in the 2010 elections, but by then just how much damage will have already been done? And how much of it will be reversible? I think that's precisely what the radical left progressives are banking on (regardless of whether or not they suffer big losses next year). As indicated above, these people may be a lot of things, but I don't think they're idiots.