Sunday, September 6, 2009

Education Secretary Duncan Says Sunday That It's "Silly" to Keep Kids Home to Avoid Obama Speech. I agree.

I don't quite understand the uproar about the Obama kids speech. I don't think I have a problem with any sitting American President (trust me, during my lifetime, I haven't liked most of them too much, regardless of party) addressing the nation's kids, just so long as politics are kept out of it. And I have no doubt that Obama will be keeping politics out of his speech. So no, I don't have a problem with it. But I have to say also, Obama's desire to have a personal audience with the nation's kids has struck me as just a little weird. I can't recall an American President ever trying to do this before. And another observation: Suppose W. Bush (and I am no fan of his) had sought to do the same thing, complete with a request that kids write a letter to themselves addressing what they can do to help out the Administration? Would there have been the same silly outcry from the left? Damn right there would have been. But oh well, I detail the absolute hypocrisy of the right and left in this space on a regular basis, so no need to harp on that again tonight. So bottom line: Obama speech to the kids is OK -- those in an uproar about it need to calm down.