Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rest In Peace tonight, Teddy Kennedy.


The news came down about 30 minutes ago that Ted Kennedy has passed away. I agreed with few of his viewpoints over the years ("the liberal Lion of the Senate"), but I must extend him a huge degree of credit: Because despite his failings whenever he tried to run for executive office, he was a man for whom I would never question his deep convictions, and he was one hell of an effective member of the legislative branch. He had the ability to sit down with opponents, negogiate, and hash out compromise agreements. That was his most wonderful skill. And there have been very few politicians in my lifetime who have had that same ability. I'm saddened that he was in ill health during the current health care reform debate, because if anyone might have been able to find some common ground between the far left, blue dogs, and even repubs, it would have been Teddy. As an American very proud of my Irish roots, and as one who considers Teddy's brother Jack to be the last great American President, I am very saddened by Teddy's passing tonight. Despite my general disagreement with many of his viewpoints, I still find inspiration whenever I listen to his 1980 concession speech at the Democratic National Convention -- it was the speech of his life. Those of us somewhere in the middle might not have ever agreed with a lot of what the Kennedy brothers espoused over the years, but we sure did love them for their conviction. Rest in peace, Teddy.