Saturday, May 16, 2009

On a sports note, allow me to reiterate my previously expressed sentiments as to the KC Royals' Mike Jacobs. He's quickly becoming my favorite Royal.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'll instead just post what I posted on another messageboard earlier tonight:

Mike Jacobs:
Dude can't play a lick of defense, and he is what he is at the plate, striking out right and left and taking that huge hack regardless of whether it's 0-2 or 3-1. First, you have to admire a guy who enjoys what he does so much that he'll take the big hack regardless of count and won't complain for a second when he gets relegated to DH based upon the high defensive prowess of one Billy Butler. Second, Jacobs is donating 1000K for each home run he hits to a charity in the KC inner city that struck his heart when he visited it (Operation Breakthrough, which aids underprivileged inner city young people and families) before the season. Add to that the fact that he's a real and positive clubhouse leader among the younger guys, by all accounts. Add to that an interview I watched how he lost his old man when he was like 6, and he has big tatoo carved out as a tribute to said father, and Jacobs is very cool in my book. I don't care if he strikes out 150 times. We could use more dudes like him in KC.