Sunday, May 17, 2009

Notre Dame protesters need to get a life.

As hard as I've been on Obama and his administration on several occasions recently, I'm glad he followed through and appeared at Notre Dame today. The absolute uproar over this from the Catholic Church and from students and other protesters, etc., seems to me to be very misplaced. When you get right down to the core of the issue, you have a group of people basically saying that since you happen to disagree with me on a particular issue, you have no business visiting our campus or ever speaking to us. It's my view that we need A LOT LESS of that kind of sentiment in this country. Our political system and discourse has become so intolerant of and hateful towards people with whom we disagree. Hey, I engage in a lot of that kind of anger myself towards the left and right -- I always use the excuse that it's what they do, so right back at them -- but sometimes I think that I really need to take a chill pill myself. Will I then? Not likely, but sometimes I at least consider it!