Thursday, May 28, 2009

For a little comic relief in these crazy times and world, you should read this story (AND this post).


A number of observations here:
1. Can someone explain to me how in the heck this story is the headline of Drudge Report? Please. Drudge Report is starting to rub me the wrong way on a consistent basis almost as much as these left-slanted "journalistic" outlets like MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, etc.
2. I didn't realize the Catholic Church has suddenly done an about-face after centuries and centuries of only allowing males to be priests! (For the record, they should allow women to be priests, but that's irrelevant to the current point -- the only relevant fact is that the Catholic Church has not changed positions on this, and sadly likely won't anytime soon.) The FUNNIEST part of this story is how this lady ("Brenda Lee") claimed to be a "Catholic priestess" from LA. SAY WHAT?
3. This lady is apparently quite the globetrotter, moonlighting as a "Catholic priestess" in LA while somehow managing to find the time somewhere to be a writer for the Georgia Informer (whatever that is) in Macon, GA. I couldn't do that? Could you do that? (Wink to Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid).
4. Somehow I think that if Ms. Lee had been given a third opportunity to identify herself, we would have learned that she was previously Brenda Lee, the famous country-and-western singer, but also that she's undergone radical plastic surgery in recent years in order to contemporarize her entire look and image.
5. Why is Ms. Lee trying to hand a letter to His Majesty telling him to take a stand on traditional marriage? Hasn't he already done that? I thought that was already cleared up: His Majesty has very clearly taken the position (never retracted) that he opposes same-sex marriages (leaving aside his White House trying at the same time to walk both sides of the fence, e.g. basically referring to Miss California as a human being existing on the level of a canine). And BTW: Drew Barrymore ranting and raving today about the Cali Supremes' decision this week on gay marriage: Hey Drew, you were hot back in the day (and still largely are) in Poison Ivy and such, but where's the venom from people like you when it comes to the man you voted for for President (whom, I REPEAT, has taken the clear position -- never retracted -- that he opposes gay marriage)?
6. But I digress. I close with this observation: How in the heck was Ms. Brenda Lee ever granted White House press credentials in the first place? Was it due to her prominent place as a staff member of the Georgia Informer, or did it owe to her being a Catholic priestess from LA? Hell, methinks I need to apply for some White House press credentials -- after all I'm a graduate (cum laude, if I do say so myself) of the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Journalism (the best J-School in the country, to this day, by the way) -- so I've got the credentials to get the "credentials", right? Damn, I'd love to walk into one of those White House daily briefings and start firing off some of the questions that I have! But somehow, I don't think such a spectacle would ever be permitted. Maybe if I was a Catholic priestess, though.